As featured in the Sunday Mail TV guide – Trades & Services section 14/9/14
Mother Hospitalized last week by massive Monoxide leak
Sharpe Gas Technicians were called to property in Adelaide after a mother was found by her daughter lying unconscious in their living room. The mother had to be hospitalized with severe Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Our technicians determined the culprit to be a faulty gas heater flue. An unlicensed gas-fitter had installed a flue that was both an incorrect type and far too small. This allowed rust to form inside, resulting in a number of blockages.
Airflow restrictions like this are a primary cause of carbon monoxide production. Natural Gas in the wrong hands can be highly dangerous.
Any gas work should be conducted by a Licensed Gas Technician.
Adelaide home destroyed by gas leak
A senior citizen miraculously survived with only minor injuries when an undetected gas leak exploded, resulting in serious damage to his Morphett Vale home.
Investigators determined that a large pocket of natural gas had built-up underneath the premises, igniting when some escaped and came into contact with their water heater.
Sharpe Expert Gas Fitter “Dan” attended the house with the Carbon Monoxide Leak mentioned above. His advice regarding carbon monoxide:
Q: What are the signs that I’ve got a carbon monoxide leak?
A: Carbon Monoxide is deadly because you can’t see or smell it, although there are signs that you may be at risk.
If you notice black marks or discolouration on your gas appliance or flue, call a licensed gas technician immediately. If the flames are no longer blue or excessively large, then there is incomplete combustion of the gas and so carbon monoxide is likely to be present.
Dust or debris around the flue pipe is also a warning sign of blockages.
Homeowners should be aware of the early physical symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure such as: headaches, dizziness and breathlessness.
Signs and Symptoms: Gas Heating
- Is your gas-powered water heater, appliances or heating old?
- Was their last servicing a long time ago?
- Have they been performing intermittently?
- Were any of your gas appliances installed by an unlicensed tradesman?
If you notice any of these, contact Sharpe Immediately for a Gas Inspection.
Always use a Licensed Gas Technician
Choosing a Gas Repair company that is a member of the Plumbing Industry Association (PIA) of South Australia is a vital decision if you want to ensure you receive a high level of service.
Membership of the PIA ensures that the work is carried out by a licensed & insured professional, with a history of quality work. If a Gas-Fitter doesn’t have a PIA logo, then they shouldn’t get your money.
Using an unlicensed gas-fitter could be deadly!
Sharpe Expert Gas Technician Dan thinks you should know that Carbon Monoxide Detectors that ordinary people can buy and install are unreliable and potentially dangerous.
This is because there are no Australian Standards regarding sensitivity and reliability.
You should only use a permanent, electrically integrated detector installed by an Accredited Gas Technician, or request gas tests and servicing using professional equipment.
Gas and Carbon Monoxide Tester
Used by our technicians to test whether your appliances is leaking or producing dangerous gases.
There have been 20 gas incidents involving injury or property damage in the last 2 years. Gas leaks and carbon monoxide present very real risks to your home.
Ensure you experience the benefits of gas heating and cooking – safely:
- Gas Appliances
- Ducted/Floor/Wall Heating
- Component Examination
- Piping and Gas Line Inspection
- Hot Water System Testing
- Ductwork Checks
- Efficiency Testing