Getting Shocks from taps?
Also known as “Tingling Taps”. This is often “written off” as a static shock, however, it is most likely a warning sign that your home or office’s electric wiring or fuse board is faulty and that the water pipes are being used to earth to building’s power.
As “Tingling Taps” is a warning sign, we consider this a concern of high importance and always advise that you get a Certified Electrician out to investigate the reasons for the shocks being received from your taps.
Please keep in mind that shocks from taps can occur from house taps, garden taps, office tap, shower heads, etc…
This “Ask the Expert – Tingling Taps” editorial appeared in Messenger Newspapers 8/2/17
Question 1: We hear you got a big response to the January 25 article about switchboard safety.
Answer: Sure did. People were contacting us about bringing their boards up to standard and others had recognised the symptoms of overloading we described, such as flickering and dimming lights.
Q2: What was one of the most serious callouts you had?
A: Residents of a 30 year old Salisbury North home, were getting a tingling sensation when they turned taps on. This is a very serious warning that the household’s electrical system isn’t earthed properly.
Q3: What did you find when you attended?
A: The switchboard had been added to over the years and had a mismatch of components causing an overload that burnt out a vital part of the system, meaning the house was being earthed through the water pipes.
Q4: What’s the lesson from all this?
A: Residents were looking at two options: electrocution or their house burning down. So please recognise the importance of switchboard safety.
Before and After photo shown.
For all your electrical needs call Sharpe on 131 750