This “Ask the Expert – Tingling Taps” editorial appeared in Messenger Newspapers 8/2/17
Question 1: We hear you got a big response to the January 25 article about switchboard safety.
Answer: Sure did. People were contacting us about bringing their boards up to standard and others had recognised the symptoms of overloading we described, such as flickering and dimming lights.
Q2: What was one of the most serious callouts you had?
A: Residents of a 30 year old Salisbury North home, were getting a tingling sensation when they turned taps on. This is a very serious warning that the household’s electrical system isn’t earthed properly.
Q3: What did you find when you attended?
A: The switchboard had been added to over the years and had a mismatch of components causing an overload that burnt out a vital part of the system, meaning the house was being earthed through the water pipes.
Q4: What’s the lesson from all this?
A: Residents were looking at two options: electrocution or their house burning down. So please recognise the importance of switchboard safety.
Before and After photo shown.
For all your electrical needs call Sharpe on 131 750