Life or death issue: Carbon Monoxide from Gas Heating
[Messenger Newspapers article – appearing 24/5/17]
NEARLY half of Australian households use mains gas as a domestic energy source but many people are unaware of the importance of a service schedule.
A major report to the Federal Government has identified a lack of awareness of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning among consumers.
It praises the efforts of the South Australian Government to highlight the importance of ventilation for indoor gas appliances, but states the risk of poisoning has been rising. This was partly due to improvements to the thermal sealing of houses, particularly in renovated homes with older gas heaters.
“Faulty, poorly maintained or incorrectly installed gas appliances are a major potential risk,” Sharpe Group spokesman David Sharpe says.
Mr Sharpe, who owns the emergency electrical and plumbing company, says this is because they can produce high levels of carbon monoxide through the incomplete combustion of gas.
“The maintenance issue always crops up in early winter as householders reactivate their heaters.” Gas heaters must be installed by a qualified trades-person and vented adequately.
It is also important to have gas heaters serviced regularly by a qualified trades-person to ensure there are no carbon monoxide leaks.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odourless and tasteless gas that can cause significant health problems, even at very low atmospheric concentrations. “One vital precaution homeowners can take is to install a carbon monoxide alarm,” Mr Sharpe says.
Sharpe Group, which services the entire metro area, can include this fitting as part of a service and safety check of a gas heating system.
Sharpe technicians also are experts in gas hot water system servicing and repairs. “Only proper appliance maintenance can guarantee complete safety,” Mr Sharpe says.
For more information call Sharpe on 131 750.