A tragic morning unfolded in Adelaide recently when a gas bottle inside a home unit exploded and an elderly man died.
It has brought the issue of gas appliance safety into clear focus, along with warnings from the Metropolitan Fire Service.
A warning about the potential dangers of using gas bottles inside buildings without adequate ventilation comes just weeks after the MFS issued a strong reminder about winter heating safety.
“Every year in South Australia, the MFS and SA Country Fire Service (CFS) respond to an average of 21 fires related to gas or electric heaters and another 13 fires related to solid fuel heaters and open fires,” an MFS spokesperson said.
“Gas or oil heaters, fireplaces, chimneys and flues should be serviced and cleaned regularly.”
The MFS also reminded householders that heating equipment should only be installed and maintained by a qualified tradesperson
Many householders take gas safety for granted. The only way to know for sure if you have harmful gas leaking inside your home is to get a CO2 alarm professionally installed.
You must only use certified plumbers and gas fitters to carry out any work on your gas appliances, such as heaters and stoves.
It also is important to get regular servicing and safety checks of gas supply lines, regulators and make sure all appliances are running safely.
Earlier this year the MFS launched fire safety activities on its website to engage a cross-section of age groups about fire and gas safety.
An MFS spokesperson said this was particularly important as working from home is a new reality for many South Australians during the current coronavirus crisis.
Sharpe Services can save you money by fixing any gas issue now. Sharpe staff are COVID-19 Aware, and are Responsible, Sanitised and Up to Date – Adopting Best Practice.